Thank you for registering for the Mack Cycle Key West Triathlon! Thank you in advance for your understanding that this year and next we are in a temporary venue at the College of the Florida Keys rather than our normal sandy beach venue at Higgs Beach. The good news is that you’ll still have an incredible weekend visiting Key West and all of the amazing things this island has to offer! There are a few things I’d like to share with you in advance of the event:
- Volunteers - We are very short on volunteers. If someone is coming to watch you please have them volunteer for a water station or at the finish line. It will be a lot of fun and will make the race better. Lack of volunteers leads to self service at water stations and finish line (water, medals, etc.). If you have someone who can volunteer, please email [email protected] to sign up. Thanks!
- Photo ID & QR Code - We have added some scanning features to expedite packet pickup. First, your photo ID is ALWAYS required to pick up you packet. We also now have QR codes to look up your registration. you can find your QR code by clicking the QR code button next to your name on the participant list at https://triregistration.com/List.php?eventid=3515. Please have that code pulled up on your phone ready to scan when you get to the front of the line.
- Parking - Please park in the area outlined in green labeled Racer Parking on the venue map below (click to open full size). Packet pickup and the Mack Cycle expo are in the pool area at the top of the map. The parking spaces there are for students, staff, and volunteers, so please stick to the green area. On race day parking may overflow the parking area so we recommend car pooling, ride sharing, riding your bike to the race, or you can also park along the road leading to the college if the parking lot gets full. Just be sure not to block the sidewalk that the run course uses.
- Chip Handout - We will do chip handout race morning as too many people forget their chips when given out the day before. After you pick up your chip, please scan it on the computer next to chip handout and verify your name, race distance, and category which will appear on the screen.
- Transition Security - Only registered racers are allowed to enter the transition area. You must show your race number to enter transition and your number must match the bike you are taking out.
- Swim Course - There are 3 distances: Mini, Sprint, and International. The mini follows the light blue lines on the map above around the yellow buoys. The sprint extends that and follows the dark blue lines around the orange buoys. The International does the sprint course twice, following the orange line after the first lap. This race will be wetsuit legal, however you’ll need to be able to remove your own wetsuit as we will not be providing wetsuit strippers due to lack of volunteers.
- Bike Course - The bike course consists of 3 segments: 1 mile out to A1A, 6 mile lap on A1A, then 1 mile back to the college. The mini does the lap on A1A once, the sprint does the lap on A1A twice, and the international does it 3 times. An illustration of the lap/finish setup is below (click to enlarge). Sprint and international racers will u-turn in front of the lap/finish sign and cross a timing mat to make sure everyone does the correct number of laps. The cutoff time to start the last bike lap is 9:20 am. Also note that riders will stay on the north and east lane on College Road both on the way out and on the way back. There should be no overlap in riders going out and coming back so one lane is sufficient and allows us to make the road one way for cars in the other lane. On A1A we will have all lanes on the north side of the road for the race. Cars will be routed to the south side with the 2 lanes divided by cones so 2 way traffic will still flow normally.
YOU AND ONLY YOU must know how many laps you have done and if you need to do another and where you need to u-turn at on the run. Volunteers and staff have no way to know this. Any cursing or yelling at volunteers or staff will result in an immediate disqualification and banning from our events. Fortunately in Key West everyone is pretty relaxed and this has not been a problem at this event.
- Run Course - The run course is an out-and-back run on the sidewalk next to the bike course. The mini u-turns at the first water station. The sprint u-turns at the second water station. The international u-turns at the u-turn sign after the bridge. The cutoff to pass the second water station is 10:00 am.
- Awards - Here are the award times:
9:20 am – Aquabike Awards
9:30 am – Mini Triathlon Awards
10:00 am – Duathlon Awards
10:15 am – Long Sprint Triathlon Awards
10:45 am – International Triathlon Awards
- Thank You Lori! - Lori has been essential to the Key West Triathlon for many years for many reasons (lifeguards, volunteers, etc.), but this event would have absolutely been canceled for 2023 and 2024 without all of her hard work in helping us secure the venue at CFK.
- Thank You to the Florida Keys and Key West! The Tourism Development Council’s support is essential to this event. Visit https://fla-keys.com/key-west/ for more information on making your stay a great one!
- Thank You Mack Cycle! - Mack Cycle has been a huge supporter of the Key West Triathlon for many years. Please show your thanks by shopping at their expo on race weekend.