Thank you for registering for the Mack Cycle 305 Triathlon on Key Biscayne. You will find Crandon Park to be an absolutely beautiful venue for our event! There are a few things I’d like to share with you in advance of the event:
1. Earlier Start - In order to get off of the Causeway on time, we have to start at 6:40 a.m. rather than 7:00 a.m., so please arrive early.
2. Bike Course - Please note that the bike course is almost 3 miles longer per lap than usual and goes down and back Arthur Lamb Jr. Road on Virginia Key (see map). Note that ALJ Road has a few gradual speed tables, so be prepared.
3. FPL - We were just notified that FPL is doing some work under the roadway during the week. This is on the part of the bike course that is within Crandon Park before the first bridge. It will not affect riders staying to the right going out or coming back, but could affect riders attempting to pass someone. If you pass anyone in this area be prepared for small patches of rough roadway.
4. Laps (Bike & Run) - You will encounter the following very large sign on both the bike and run courses. If you are in the SPRINT distance, follow the FINISH ARROW!
If you are in the OLYMPIC distance, follow the LAP ARROW and do a 2nd lap, then follow the FINISH ARROW to complete the bike or run. IT IS VITAL THAT YOU UNDERSTAND THIS! Volunteers have no way to know if you are on lap 1 or lap 2, so YOU AND ONLY YOU must be responsible to know if you need to complete another lap or not. If you mess up and come in after lap 1, just go back out and do your 2nd lap. We'll sort out the times and delete the extra chip times in the timing system.
5. Swim Course - All swimmers will start at the same spot (lifeguard tower 1). Sprint racers will swim to the end and exit (500 meters), while Olympic swimmers will swim to the end and back and to the end again (1500 meters). Keep all buoys on your right at all times. There is sufficient space between outbound and inbound buoys so that swimmers aren't swimming towards each other. Go to https://305triathlon.com/index.php/race-course/?swcfpc=1 for course maps.
6. Senior Games - The National Senior Games are part of the event. They will start between the Olympic and Sprint waves and do the sprint distance triathlon.
7. Packet Pick Up - Packet pickup is at Mack Cycle, 5995 Sunset Drive, Miami. Times are 12-6 Wed-Fri and 10-4 Saturday. Senior Games racers should see their website for info as they have their own packet pickup.
8. Crandon Park - Unfortunately, Crandon Park has a master plan that prevents all commercial signs/banners/flags, etc. Last year we were able to put up generic mesh and flags that just said Triathlon on them with swim, bike, and run icons. That won’t be allowed this year. The venue to be a little bare looking compared with last year or other venues we do races at. That won’t affect us having a great race though!
9. Post-Race Food - For this race we’ll have water, croissants, bananas, tangerines, cookies, chips, and soda. We’ll also have BASE sports drink in coolers for you to fill your cups with. Unfortunately, BASE doesn't have a ready to drink bottled product, so you’ll have to use a cup and save a plastic bottle from going to the landfill.
10. THANK YOU MACK CYCLE! Please give a thank you to Mary Jane and her team at Mack Cycle for their support of this event. Without their support, this event would not be possible.
11. Race Medal - If you cannot stay for the awards ceremony and you qualify for an award, please pick it up prior to leaving. Just stop by the timing truck and a staff member will be happy to assist! We appreciate it!
12. Hector Picard (the man with no hands) - Hector Picard, para-triathlete and motivational speaker, will be giving some last-minute advice and encouragement to racers. Please meet us at 6 am the morning of the race to the left of the timing truck.
13. The Grateful Giraffe's company created the Grateful Bus to help support U.S. mental health through gratitude practices, art, and bringing people together from all ages & backgrounds in a safe space. They are co-producing wellness & web 3.0 events with local communities, and inviting people to write something on the bus, reading what others have written, and add a positive boost of energy to their day.
Grateful Schedule for 305:
6:45 Pre swim 5 minute meditations by beach. (starting at 6:45 and could run every 10 min until the last swim wave)
10:15 post race yoga (15 min session)
Gratitude signing throughout the entire race schedule from racers and spectators.